We are photographers and Lione is excellent at making sure the boat is positioned for the best photo lighting. You couldn’t ask for a better or nicer captain and naturalist/photographer in Sitka. We’ve gotten some of the best whale pics we’ve ever taken so whether you’re a pro, semi-pro, phone photographer or just want to observe wildlife, this is the tour for you.
As Seen on Planet Earth
A Unique Natural Phenomenon
Hear the Whales via Hydrophone
Witness One of Nature’s Great Events
For the best of Alaska whale watching tours, the Bubble-Net Feeding Humpback Whales Tour is your best option. Sitka is the best place in the world to see this phenomenon! Professional photographer Dan Evans leads these amazing full-day tours as we witness one of Mother Nature’s greatest events. Capture frame-worthy images while witnessing this awe-inspiring group-feeding display that occurs as often as 70+ times per day.
$1,899 per person
Crescent Harbor, Sitka.
We can also pick you up from other harbors around the Sitka area. Please inquire before booking to arrange a custom pick-up.
- March 23-25, 2021
- March 28-30, 2021
3 days – 24 hours
Maximum 6 people
- Personal mentoring and instruction from our photography experts.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Flights to and from Sitka
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax
- Staff gratuities
Suitable for ages 15 years and over.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Plenty of memory cards.
- Patience – these are wild animals that abide by no man’s schedule.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream, personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – just in case as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler, come prepared and dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist/photography expert
See humpback whales simultaneously launch out of the water, throat grooves bulging with herring.
Watch the seawater come alive as gulls & bald eagles frantically converge, plucking leftovers seemingly from their open mouths.
Witness what Planet Earth called “One of nature’s great events.”
Learn about this unique event from an expert naturalist guide.
Only a hundred humpbacks in the world have learned to fish in this way & Sitka is the best place to see it!
What You'll See & Do
Join professional photographer Dan Evans and Captain Neil McDermott to photograph one of nature’s most extraordinary events on a 3-day guided photography expedition with a minimum of 24 hours on the water.
During this expedition, we will make sure we are in the right spot at the right time for you to capture these fantastic moments. Imagine the shots you will get when up to 20 humpback whales simultaneously explode out of the water with their throat grooves bulging with herring and seawater, as gulls and bald eagles frantically converge, plucking leftovers seemingly from their open mouths. The leading female dives first and then the rest follow, diving in formation and in the same order each time.
This time of the year is the perfect season and Sitka is the best place to get stunning pictures of humpback whales bubble-net feeding. It was with good reason that the BBC chose Sitka during this timeframe to film the documentary Planet Earth’s bubble-net feeding content. We will witness this awe-inspiring group feeding display as often as 70+ times per day.
Good to Know
All our expeditions are subject to the realities of the natural world. A Whale’s Song Expeditions makes no guarantees of seeing any specific species. Although we will do everything in our power to find the species that are of interest to customers and stay on the itinerary, circumstances such as species location, weather, and ocean conditions may necessitate alteration of an itinerary. Payments are not refundable for any itinerary change.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking and the consumption of alcohol or any illegal drug while aboard is prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are motion sickness prone, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
We saw bubble feeding by humpback whales, breaches, a double breach, a herring burst out of the water into glistening sun, Edgecumb the volcano, Lazaria the rockery, beautiful sunny days, and calm waters. The days on the water were all you could ask for and more.
Lione showed us all sorts of animal information and shared so much knowledge, incredible! I would recommend this tour and experience to anyone wanting to have a beautiful exploration of Sitka was an awesome crew.