I was hoping to see at least 1 humpback whale and we ended up seeing over 10 in multiple areas. Everything else was an added bonus. Neil was a wonderful guide and gave us lots of information on animals we saw and about the city of Sitka.
Listen to the Whales’ Calls & Song
Whales, Orcas, Porpoises, & More
Small Groups of 6
The Only Sitka Tour Where You Can See & Listen to the Whales
Used as the filming location for various wildlife documentaries, Sitka offers some of the best whale watching in Alaska. The North Pacific waters are rich in nutrients and in turn, attract whales, porpoises, orcas, seals, sea lions, sea otters, and various colorful marine birds. Learn about the wildlife from your expert naturalist guide as you watch sea creatures gliding calmly through the Sound.
- 3-hour tour: $189 per person
- 4-hour tour: $249 per person
- 3-hour tour:
- 8:30 AM
- 12:00 PM
- 4:00 PM (This time is not always available due to lack of sunlight in some months of the year)
- 4-hour tour:
- 8:30 AM
- 1:00 PM
- 6:00 PM (available June 4 – July 16)
Tours are available Monday to Sunday, year-round.
- 3-hour option
- 4-hour option
Maximum 6 people
- Access to a state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system to hear the whales’ calls and songs.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Transportation to and from the meeting point.
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax.
- Staff gratuities.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream (the life cycle of garbage), personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest you always need to come prepared.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler so dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist guide
Hear the songs and calls of the whales on our state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system.
Have the chance to spot orcas, porpoises, humpback, minke, and gray whales.
Observe seals, sea lions, sea otters, and colorful marine birds.
Explore the spectacular landscapes of Sitka Sound.
Enjoy commentary from a certified naturalist guide and witness fascinating wildlife behaviors.
Learn about each creature you see and gain insights into local history.
What You'll See & Do
If you’re looking for the perfect Alaska whale-watching cruise, Sitka Sound is the ideal location. Come aboard our comfortable catamaran and glide through the waters of the North Pacific to sight some of the diverse marine life that lives here.
Our expert naturalist guide will help you spot orcas, porpoises, humpback, minke, and gray whales. They will tell you about the different behaviors of each species and you will also have the opportunity to listen to these incredible creatures through our state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system. We may be treated to the “boing” of the minke whales or the songs of the humpbacks.
You’ll also have the chance to see sea otters playing in the kelp forests, seals and sea lions relaxing in the coves and splashing around in the ocean, and colorful marine birds feeding on the abundant food sources.
Your guide will inform you about the beautiful landscapes, the rugged volcanic cliffs, and the history of the area. This complete Alaska wildlife tour is sure to leave you feeling in awe of the natural world!
Good to Know
St Lazaria is located 20 miles from Sitka in the Gulf of Alaska, weather and sea conditions will dictate the status of the voyage.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking and the consumption of alcohol or any illegal drug while aboard are prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are prone to motion sickness, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
We’ve been on several whale watching tours in Hawaii and on the California coast in the past and this was by far the best. We saw A LOT of whales as well as otters, sea lions, and a large variety of seabirds including a puffin!
They were very knowledgeable, it wasn’t scripted and we had a wonderful time. Worth every penny! We highly recommend this tour for anyone wanting to get some history, see wildlife and enjoy 3-4 hours one day while visiting Sitka.