We saw so many whales getting ready to migrate down south! I was very impressed with how careful around the whales Neil was, he didn’t want to bother them. We watched for hours! We had an excellent time and this is a must-do in Sitka with Captain Neil!
Professional Photographer Guide
Photograph the Majestic Gray Whale
Hear the Whales via Hydrophone
Witness Gray Whales on Their Annual Migration
Witness and photograph the return of the Pacific Gray whales to their summer feeding grounds. Every year as many as 150 individual Gray whales are seen in our area. This 4-hour photography tour is an amazing opportunity to photograph these incredible giants as stop near Sitka during their annual migration from the Sea of Cortez to Alaska. During their feeding stop these magnificent creatures can congregate with up to 50 whales in a 1 square mile area, grazing in water as shallow as 10 feet deep. Join us to witness this spectacle of nature event! In addition to gray whales, you may also see Steller sea lions, sea otters, eagles, humpback whales, and orcas.
$299 per person
- 8:30 AM
- 1:30 PM
April 15th – May 5th
Maximum 6 people
- Personal mentoring and instruction from our photography experts.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Flights to and from Sitka
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax
- Staff gratuities
***Meals -Avoid Crowded Restaurants! – Sitka’s restaurants get swamped during cruise ship season often leaving no seats open for enjoying meals while in port
Our Solution – Expedition Cuisine Menu – When booking look for the Optional Meal Add-Ons to have freshly prepared breakfast items, Sandwiches and Salads safely waiting for you to come aboard.
Suitable for ages 15 years and over.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Plenty of memory cards.
- Patience – these are wild animals that abide by no man’s schedule.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream, personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – just in case as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler, come prepared and dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist/photography expert
See up to 150 gray whales congregating to feed in the Sitka Sound.
Learn about the annual migration - the longest of any mammal - from an expert naturalist guide.
Spot other wildlife such as sea otters, bald eagles, Steller sea lions, marine birds and brown bears.
Watch other whales such as humpbacks and orcas.
Explore the volcanic and rainforest landscapes of Sitka Sound and learn about the flora and fauna.
Gain a better understanding of photo composition, hands-on camera work, and equipment care in a marine environment.
What You'll See & Do
Join us for this fantastic season as we search for these magnificent creatures on their incredible annual migration. Every year, these whales migrate over 10,000 miles from the Sea of Cortez to the Bering and Chukchi Seas and back – Making theirs the longest migration route of any mammal. Sitka is a feeding stop for the gray whale and a place where as many as 50 congregate in a single square-mile area, grazing in water as shallow as 10 feet deep.
Good to Know
All our expeditions are subject to the realities of the natural world. A Whale’s Song Expeditions makes no guarantees of seeing any specific species. Although we will do everything in our power to find the species that are of interest to customers and stay on the itinerary, circumstances such as species location, weather, and ocean conditions may necessitate alteration of an itinerary. Payments are not refundable for any itinerary change.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking and the consumption of alcohol or any illegal drug while aboard is prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are motion sickness prone, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Your Captain has over 1,200 hours at the helm maneuvering the boat in the best position to get that great shot. Our professional photographer will join all photo tours with over 3 guests.
Previous Guests Rave About A Whale's Song Expeditions
Nobody works harder to give you a relaxed, informative, friendly yet very professional tour. You are not just a number… tour for the week, you are people that Neil wants to have the very best experience he can provide.
Our captain and naturalist were extremely professional, knowledgeable, and friendly. Perfect intimate experience! It felt like I was out on the water with friends as opposed to being crammed into a large crowded tour boat.