We are photographers and Lione is excellent at making sure the boat is positioned for the best photo lighting. You couldn’t ask for a better or nicer captain and naturalist/photographer in Sitka. We’ve gotten some of the best whale pics we’ve ever taken so whether you’re a pro, semi-pro, phone photographer or just want to observe wildlife, this is the tour for you.
Professional Photographer Guide
8 Hours on the Water
Designed For Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts
Get the Perfect Shot With a Full Day on the Water
This 8-hour Alaska photography tour will take you around Sitka Sound, Baranof Island, and St Lazaria with plenty of time to ensure you get the highest quality shots. Our professional photographer will give you tips on taking the best photos and will also tell you about the different animals you encounter.
$649 per person
Times vary due to the change in sunrise and sunset times – please inquire upon booking for the exact time.
Crescent Harbor, Sitka.
We can also pick you up from other harbors around the Sitka area. Please inquire before booking to arrange a custom pick-up.
Monday to Sunday, year-round – please see our calendar
Maximum 6 people
- Personal mentoring and instruction from our photography experts.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Flights to and from Sitka
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax
- Staff gratuities
Suitable for ages 15 years and over.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Plenty of memory cards.
- Patience – these are wild animals that abide by no man’s schedule.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream, personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – just in case as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler, come prepared and dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist/photography expert
Catch the golden hour and see Sitka Sound bathed in pink sunlight.
Enjoy an expanded itinerary that increases your opportunities to capture frame-worthy, compelling images of iconic Alaskan wildlife.
See whales, orcas, porpoises, and sea otters.
Spot tufted puffins, bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, and Steller and California sea lions.
Hear the songs and calls of the whales on our state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system.
Gain a better understanding of photo composition, hands-on camera work, and equipment care in a marine environment.
What You'll See & Do
Spend the day on the waters of Sitka Sound in the safe hands of your knowledgeable and accommodating captain. Your professional photographer and naturalist guide will help you take your shot of the trip — or even the shot of your life!
This full-day Sitka photography tour gives us room to be more flexible and spend longer in different locations to take great photos. We’ll explore the coast of Baranof Island, where we often come across groups of humpbacks congregating. We’ll capture the magic of the Tongass temperate rainforest from the sea, we may also spot a bear or some Sitka black-tailed deer.
We’ll circle St. Lazaria Island to catch sight of the diverse bird population that calls the rocky outcropping home. We may see tufted puffins, bald eagles, marbled murrelets, black oystercatchers, and much more. We’ll drift through the waters and come across other wildlife such as sea otters and sea lions.
Good to Know
All our expeditions are subject to the realities of the natural world. A Whale’s Song Expeditions makes no guarantees of seeing any specific species. Although we will do everything in our power to find the species that are of interest to customers and stay on the itinerary, circumstances such as species location, weather, and ocean conditions may necessitate alteration of an itinerary. Payments are not refundable for any itinerary change.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking and the consumption of alcohol or any illegal drug while aboard is prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are motion sickness prone, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
The highlight for me was the sea otters all wrapped in kelp forming a raft. Neil even dropped us back to our cruise ship to save us the bus ride from the town. A truly personal service!
We were treated to something special when an Orca, clearly on the prowl for something, repeatedly jumped out of the water exposing its belly and fins to smack the water. Neil surprised us by taking us directly to our cruise ship and dropping us off. This was by far the best excursion we did while in Alaska.