I really appreciated Neil’s concern for our safety. Neil and his amazing wildlife expert found some and we got to see one breach. So cool! We were delighted to hear stories and see photos of whales bubble feeding. If you want a highly personalized adventure – this company is for you!
Professional Photographer Guide
Wildlife at the Golden Hour
Designed For Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts
Catch the Alaskan Sunset & Wildlife at Dusk
Our Sitka photography tour at sunset is a best seller. The breathtaking sunsets we have here make the unique landscape even more spectacular. Our professional photographer will help you capture the perfect shot and point out the different wildlife as we cruise through the Sitka Sound. Think pink skies, the twitter of birdsong, and whales and sea otters gliding through the waters.
$249 per person
Times vary due to the change in sunrise times – please inquire upon booking for the exact time.
Crescent Harbor, Sitka.
We can also pick you up from other harbors around the Sitka area. Please inquire before booking to arrange a custom pick-up.
Monday-Sunday, year-round – please see our calendar.
Maximum 6 people
- Personal mentoring and instruction from our photography experts.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Flights to and from Sitka
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax
- Staff gratuities
Suitable for ages 15 years and over.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Plenty of memory cards.
- Patience – these are wild animals that abide by no man’s schedule.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream, personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest you always need to come prepared.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler so dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist guide
Snap the graceful whales, orcas, and porpoises as they glide through the waters of the Sound.
Shoot the spectacular Alaskan sunset and marvel at the long-lasting, deep salmon and coral pinks.
Spot tufted puffins, bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, and Steller and California sea lions.
Capture photos with a backdrop of the mountains bathed in alpenglow.
Hear the songs and calls of the whales on our state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system.
Gain a better understanding of photo composition, hands-on camera work, and equipment care in a marine environment.
What You'll See & Do
Sunset Alaska photography tours are our specialty in Sitka. Step onto our catamaran with a heated cabin as we set sail at the quietest time of day (for man-made noises) and open our eyes and ears to the sounds of nature.
Your expert guide will point out the various wildlife so you don’t miss a thing. They will tell you about the different species’ behaviors and habitats. Capture photos of flocks of marine birds against a background of mountains aglow with sunset beams. Take a minute to appreciate the magnificent sunsets we get here in Sitka, and see the volcanic landscape from a different perspective, bathed in sunlight. This is a wildlife photographer’s dream!
We often come across humpback whales gathering around Baranof Island, they make for a perfect sunset image. Not only will the guide inform you about the different wildlife, as professional photographers, they will also assist you in capturing beautiful shots throughout the trip.
Good to Know
All our expeditions are subject to the realities of the natural world. A Whale’s Song Expeditions makes no guarantees of seeing any specific species. Although we will do everything in our power to find the species that are of interest to customers and stay on the itinerary, circumstances such as species location, weather, and ocean conditions may necessitate alteration of an itinerary. Payments are not refundable for any itinerary change.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking, the consumption of alcohol, or any illegal drug while aboard is prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are prone to motion sickness, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
The scenery was gorgeous & the boat you ride on is big and comfortable. Neil & Lione are a WEALTH of knowledge & teach you so much about wildlife, Sitka, & the surrounding area.
Whale Watching with Captain Neil and Lione was amazing! We saw humpback whales, puffins, harbor seals, sea otters, and lots of birds. I enjoyed the four-hour tour with a small group of six people.