Great family outing, highly recommend. Very personal and informative tour. Provided a great whale watching experience with local flavor.
Professional Photographer Guide
Designed For Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts
Take Advantage of the Best Photography Conditions With a Flexible Itinerary
Join us on this immersive 2-day expedition photography experience as we head out at the best times of day to photograph wildlife. We will travel over an extensive area and visit places not often seen by tourists. Your professional photographer guide will help you capture tack-sharp photos with the right composition that communicate the story of that moment. You’ll also learn about all the different creatures we see on our Alaska photography tour.
$1,739 per person
Times vary due to the change in sunrise and sunset times – please inquire upon booking for the exact time.
Year-round – please see our calendar
2 full days – 16 hours on the water
Maximum 6 people
- Personal mentoring and instruction from our photography experts.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Flights to and from Sitka
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax
- Staff gratuities
- Meals – Leave It To us Rather than shopping, preparing and packing your own food. When booking your tour look for the Optional Meal Add-Ons to have freshly prepared breakfast items, Sandwiches and Salads safely waiting for you to come aboard.
Suitable for ages 15 years and over.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Plenty of memory cards.
- Patience – these are wild animals that abide by no man’s schedule.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream, personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – just in case as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler, come prepared and dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist/photography expert
Two full day expeditions (16 hours).
Catch the golden hours and see Sitka Sound bathed in pink sunlight.
Snap the graceful whales, orcas, and porpoises as they glide through Sound.
Spot tufted puffins, bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, Steller, California sea lions and Brown Bears.
Hear the songs and calls of the whales on our state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system.
Gain a better understanding of photo composition, hands-on camera work, and equipment care in a marine environment.
What You'll See & Do
Imagine the Alp-like peaks of the Tongass Forest and the crimson-streaked slopes of the Mt. Edgecumbe volcano as the background while you photo iconic Alaskan wildlife on this 2-day Sitka wildlife photography tour.
We’ll ensure you get out onto the water in the best light for taking photos and our expert photographer and naturalist will help you capture tack-sharp images that are perfectly framed. They will also teach you about the diverse creatures we come across on our expeditions.
We’ll explore Sitka Sound and sail over to St Lazaria, past Mt. Edgecumbe, and see if we can spot the humpbacks around Baranof Island. We’ll hope to see gray whales, orcas, sea lions, and porpoises playing in the deep blue waters. We may spot sea otters and their pups playing in the kelp forests and Sitka black-tailed deer trotting through the Tongass rainforest.
Good to Know
All our expeditions are subject to the realities of the natural world. A Whale’s Song Expeditions makes no guarantees of seeing any specific species. Although we will do everything in our power to find the species that are of interest to customers and stay on the itinerary, circumstances such as species location, weather, and ocean conditions may necessitate alteration of an itinerary. Payments are not refundable for any itinerary change.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking and the consumption of alcohol or any illegal drug while aboard is prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are motion sickness prone, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Your Captain has over 1,200 hours at the helm maneuvering the boat in the best position to get that great shot. Our professional photographer will join all photo tours with over 3 guests.
Previous Guests Rave About A Whale's Song Expeditions
This tour is smaller (6 people max) but provides a much more personal experience from native locals. On the return trip, got to spend an hour or so watching the whales feed. Got lucky enough to see an entire pod of whales (5-6) all in one place feeding and diving. One dived within 50 feet of the boat!
We saw and photographed whales, harbor seals, puffins, starfish, and birds. We were impressed with the respect Neil showed the sea mammals, other sea life, and birds in how he maneuvered his ship. Lione and he were exceptionally knowledgeable about the animals and helpful to us in getting magnificent photographs.