Neil found the perfect spot on our trip, even with three cameras it was hard to keep up with all the whales surrounding us, plus the sea was calm and the skies were clear (we were very lucky that day), and the complimentary hot cocoa was perfect.
Comfortable & Safe Boat Transportation To Wilderness Cabins
Complete Packages With Top Brand Camping Gear
Experience Alaska like an Alaskan
We take away the hassle of finding all the necessary equipment and then trying to find transportation to backcountry cabins in the Alaskan Wilderness. We supply the newest and best equipment and a safe comfortable round trip water transportation for you to enjoy a truly authentic Alaskan Experience, camping in cozy and secluded cabins. Let us help you craft and outfit the most memorable of Alaskan getaways. Complete the contact form (link Contact Form) and we will quickly be in touch and help you curate an unforgettable trip. This is the perfect option for families and small groups who want to connect with nature. If you’re looking for an Alaskan escape, this is exactly what you’re looking for.
$249 per person
Times vary due to the change in sunrise times – inquire before booking to arrange a custom pick-up.
Non-cruise Ship Guests:
Our vessel,” Catdaddy” is located in Old Thomsen Harbor. It is located at 617 Katlian St. Please park in the harbormasters parking lot. Head down the gangway and turn on the second finger. We are located toward the end on the left.
Cruise Ship Guests:
All cruise ship passengers are transported to Harrigan Hall either by liter or shuttle bus. We have a table set up in front of the building.. Please check in with one of our bright yellow jacket wearing team members. Our vessel is located just down the gangway in the harbor next to Harrigan Hall.
Monday to Sunday, year-round – please see our calendar.
Maximum 6 people
- Personal mentoring and instruction from our photography experts.
- Access to Coast-Guard recommended marine binoculars for all guests while onboard.
- Beverages and snacks including coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water.
- Access to a state-of-the-art amplified hydrophone system to hear the whales’ calls and songs.
- Detailed booklets for the wildlife we often see on this tour.
- Flights to and from Sitka
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- City and Borough of Sitka sales tax
- Staff gratuities
Suitable for ages 15 years and over.
What to bring
- Camera or cell phone with well-charged batteries – we have a limited number of USB outlets.
- Plenty of memory cards.
- Patience – these are wild animals that abide by no man’s schedule.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe, rubber-sole, flat shoes. Boat (or non-marking) shoes are not necessary.
- To reduce the number of items in the waste stream, personal water bottles are recommended.
- Rain gear – just in case as Sitka is surrounded by temperate rainforest.
- Temperatures on the water are cooler, come prepared and dress in layers.
About your guide
- 1 US Coast Guard 25GT masters licensed captain
- 1 certified naturalist guide
What You'll See & Do
See Alaska photography tours at their best with A Whale’s Song Expeditions’ Alaskan Sunrise Tour. Get out onto the water for the sunrise to encounter wildlife as they greet the day and start their morning routines. This tour is specifically created for natural wildlife photography enthusiasts and we will time our departure perfectly for you to capture the golden hour of morning light.
Our photography expert will help you gain a better understanding of photo composition, hands-on camera work, and equipment care in a marine environment and is eager to help you get the shot you will be proud to share with family and friends.
Enjoy a memorable expedition exploring the beautiful locations and waters surrounding Sitka, our guests routinely take photos of the many humpbacks congregating in the waters surrounding Baranof Island. Be sure to keep an eye out for the colorful tufted puffin, playful sea otters, coastal brown bears, gray whales, orcas, and porpoises. You may also get some shots of bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, Steller and California sea lions, and rhinoceros auklets.
This is a Sitka photography tour you don’t want to miss!
Good to Know
St Lazaria is located 20 miles from Sitka in the Gulf of Alaska, weather and sea conditions will dictate the status of the voyage.
All our expeditions are subject to the realities of the natural world. We make no guarantees of seeing any specific species. Although we will do everything in our power to find and view the species that are of interest to the customer and stay on the itinerary. Circumstances such as species location, weather, and ocean conditions may result in an itinerary alteration. Payments are not refundable for any itinerary change.
Unfortunately, our vessel is not wheelchair accessible.
Features of our vessel:
- A spacious heated cabin
- Deluxe comfortable seats for all guests
- Restroom equipped
- Large wrap-around windows for unobstructed viewing
- Expansive deck space for multiple perspectives
- Great stability to ensure safety and comfort
Smoking and the consumption of alcohol or any illegal drug while aboard are prohibited.
If the captain determines that you may be under the influence or may pose a hazard to yourself, the vessel, the crew, or other guests you will not be permitted to board, and no refund will be given.
If you are prone to motion sickness, take your remedies at least 1 hour in advance.
Please arrive at the vessel 15 minutes before departure.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
Neil, the owner, and our guide was so incredibly knowledgeable. We stayed out for a couple of hours and got to see so much beauty, wildlife, and humpback whales. It was truly majestic and an amazing experience.
We saw 2 different pods of humpbacks as well as seals and sea lions. The scenery was incredible but the best part was getting to listen in on the whales communicating beneath us! It was surreal to hear all the different vocalizations firsthand.